This is a race with a difference … Kidlington Running Club is proud to be organising the Miracle Marathon a relay event designed to test a group of runners to challenge the World Record Marathon time with all proceeds going to the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.
Set at the historic home of the 4 minute mile, the Iffley Road Athletics Track will play host to runners in teams, doing 200m relays in order to complete a marathon as fast as they can.
Ideally with teams of more than 20 runners each runner will only need to run 200m, 10 or 11 times to go the full 42.195 kilometres (26.219 miles; 26 miles 385 yards), or 211 sets of 200m. Each team will have a baton with a watch attached to it measuring speed and distance for the team. Individuals will be invited to also take part in the 4 minute mile challenge at the same time, trying to run their best 8 200m relay lengths in under 4 minutes.
The First Miracle Marathon 2019!
We had a brilliant day out at the track where 28 runners ran a marathon in 2 hours 16 minutes and 1 second. Bicester Triathlon club won the day with some impressive team running, and we raised a total of £735.75.
A full report can be found here.
We are looking forward to running it again in 2020, as below…
How it works:
- Get a group of fellow runners together and sign up when the link is active (ideally 20+ in a team) – If you’ve not got enough, don’t worry just email me, and I’ll fit you in with other people to make a team
- It would be helpful, if as a team, you have a coordinator/captain who’s happy to act as a central contact point. (They can run too)
- The race date and start time will be published in January 2020 and will run in the same way as it did for 2019, with runners arriving at Iffley Road Track, from 9am.
- Then on the day you’ll need to be aware of who’s running when and a keep an eye on your starts, sprint your 200m, then have about 10 minutes off and sprint again… until your team completes the marathon. (GPS watches on batons will ensure you’ve done it regardless of where on the track you run!)
- There’s a minimum age of 12, and any runners under 16 will need to have a parent or guardian with them.
- On the day I’m hoping slower runners will be happy running on the inside lane, and faster runners will push into the outer lanes.
This event is aimed at being inclusive and all members of teams should take part, where there maybe slower runners the teams total is the important result, and so the faster runners will help bring the time down, while not being able to maintain their speed if required to do many laps!
There will also be plenty for non runners to do besides support with music, a raffle, food and drink available throughout the morning and into the early afternoon.
Registration will be open from March 2020 and will be posted on Facebook.
Our Amazing Sponsors!
A massive thanks to our sponsors who helped make this event possible this year. Please check out their websites and support them back!
Summertown Clinic – For all your sports injury needs –
Nuffield Health – The best gym in Oxford –
The Feathers – Beautiful hotel and restaurant in Woodstock
Grape Minds – Oxford’s friendliest wine merchant –
Connect Catering Management Services – Contract Caterers for every need
Oxford University Sport – Lending us the Iffley Road Track!